Guidelines for organising course directors
Organisation of the courses must observe the IUC guidelines http://www.iuc.hr/guidelines.php.
These provide a general framework for functioning of the courses and expect courses to be self-managed and autonomous to great degree. The courses and their directors are free to choose the topics, organise work schedule and the course activities.
In the framework of the School for Social Work Theory and Practice for the reasons of coordination there some extra requirements on the organising directors. Some of them are listed below.
An organising director is one of the course directors who is responsible for all matters concerning organisation. Typically course directors rotate the function of the organising director. Anyhow at the end of each annual course the course directors must choose who will be the organising course director for the next period. His or her duty is to attend to all the duties (with the help of other course directors) throughout the year. Organising course director reports everything that has to do with the course to the directors of the School (Vito Flaker and Vera Grebenc).
Course directors are renowned academics (from at least two different countries) and are traditionally appointed by the School director upon the suggestion of the course directors or alternatively appointed by their consent. Course directors decide and plan the programme for each year and they decide about admission of the participants.
Time-table for organising course directors:
- July and August – Assisting the editors in compiling and processing the chosen papers.
- September – Hand in the course description – this is to be put into a brochure and circulated by end of September. Besides the announcement on the web this will now be consolidated into a single document for all courses in Pdf format. This will be circulated to a central email list – but course directors are encouraged to have this this circulated within their networks.
- November – second call for participation
- March – setting the dates for the next academic year; provisional programme and abstracts of the course
- May – final programme
- June – while running the courses organises; (1) reception with IUC; (2) common trips and sightseeing events; (3) compile the slides; (4) comment how to improve papers.
At the end of the course:
- compile addresses and contacts,
- collect the presentations and hand them for attaching them to the IUC archives,
- choose papers for publication,
- choose the topic for next year,
- appoint the organising director for the next year,
- make a short report on the course.